Reedy Chapel 1848-Present
Reedy Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church (AMEC) has been a history maker in many ways. Her origins date back to 1848 when Black slaves were given the land at 20th and Broadway by their white owners for a place of worship. The slaves worshipped outside until a structure was built. Reedy was one of the locations in which General Order #3 was read, announcing the end of slavery in Texas. After the end of slavery, Reedy also served as a school, educating freed men and women. Throughout her history Reedy has endured The Great Fire and numer-
ous hurricanes but still stands. In 1866 following the close of the Civil War the church was organized as an A.M.E. Church. The first church building was destroyed by the great fire of 1885. The 1900 storm also caused severe damage to the structure. Reedy Chapel stands today in all her beauty and majesty as a symbol of liberation, longevity and faithfulness in God. The church is a popular stop for tourist. It also continues to host a Juneteenth celebration that is attended by the community.
2015 Broadway & 20th, Galveston, TX 77550. Phone: 409-762-2016